"Building in Style"

"Building in Style"
Donations for the REAL Smyth shirt are accepted lol

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 17 ~ Wiring 2 and Misc.

  I put in about 2.5 hrs on wire splicing until I ran out of connectors for the larger gauge wires. I got plenty of the small ones, but only half the larger ones I needed in the shipment. I'll make sure there's an inventory adjustment so you won't have to worry about it when you get your kit. Simple fixes . . . beta = )
  After going at it for a long time, I found myself starting to make a couple mistakes, so I took a break from the wiring so as not to mess up something critical. I need some coffee or a Monster energy drink or something to finish up those last couple connector extensions. Still waiting to hear from Mike on a double-check of the VR6 wiring, but I can finish all but the 2-pin connector according to the manual so far. If any other betas working on (or finished with) wiring want to point us in the right direction, what component is the 2-pin extension going to/from? I found 8 identical connectors, of which 3 or 4 could be eliminated, but could use some help figuring out which component I'm running an extension to. We'll get it double checked and clarified in the manual. Other than that, the rest seemed easy to find and extend so far.
   The goal is to get the G3F off the jack stands and onto its own wheels, so I spent some time getting the extra K-frame et al ready for installation. I still have to pull the OEM struts, source some calipers, and figure out the tie-rods and half shafts configuration. Then I'll bolt the frame on, hook up the new struts, and put the wheels back on for "rolling frame" status.
   Sorry about my long silence, last week was spent heavily in dismantling the spare VR6 I bought for the engine. I got that one completely gutted, kept anything usable, and scrapped the rest. Then I cleaned the engine a bit and pulled off anything that was deteriorated or damaged. I'll be dividing some efforts between electrical extensions, suspension installation, and engine preparation until I get some more parts. After that, I expect to fill up the tunnel with heater hoses, shift cables, and all the rest of the plumbing. Seems simple enough, but I'm learning everything is taking longer than I expected. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave useful, tasteful comments here. Keep in mind with probably over 25,000 people with interest in Smyth Performance, your question is probably shared by many, so ask away.