"Building in Style"

"Building in Style"
Donations for the REAL Smyth shirt are accepted lol

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Day 19 ~ Rolling Chassis


  Due to the work I need to do to sell my Firebird, I'd like the jacks back. So today I set out to remove the outer CV joints from my old spare set of half shafts. It's pretty simple, just super greasy. The only really tricky part is once you've tapped the end off the splines, getting the balls and cages out. If you like those metal puzzles in Cracker Barrel, then you'll get them out fine. No matter. I got them both cleaned up and installed in the front hubs. This is important for support of the bearings. Do not ever load weight on the wheels without these in place as damage to the bearing will likely result. Well enough about that. I threw the old wheels on and lowered her down...
   Woohoo! It looks pretty sweet sitting nice and low. Clearance is pretty tight on stock offset to the new struts. Looks pretty good now, but I'll be getting the aftermarket wheels on eventually anyway.
  Well, a short night relatively, but some progress, answers from Mark, and preparation for several other big things going on around here this weekend means I'm plenty satisfied with today's work. Peace out!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As in physical location, progress on project, or just wondering why the down time? I'm between Fayetteville and Raleigh, NC. I got stalled out on progress mostly because I needed some more goodies from Smyth Performance so I could keep going. There's always more that can be done, but I'm already out of order getting ahead of myself in several areas, so I decided to wait until more stuff came in that would help me catch up. Now I'm good to go, so stay tuned for more updates.

      Delete

Feel free to leave useful, tasteful comments here. Keep in mind with probably over 25,000 people with interest in Smyth Performance, your question is probably shared by many, so ask away.